6/22/11

Explosives

I am a fireworks manager. I run a big tent that is the SUPERCENTER of fireworks. We sell everything there is. Lots of manual labor, lots of downtime, and *hopefully* a fair amount of cash. Not that I can keep the cash, I get a 15% comission. An endless bundle of sunburn, blistered hands, sweat, blood and bruises fill my days during the June-July season. All the crap proceeds the wonderful Main Day. You know, the 4th of July. We celebrate our independance by selling explosives to those of you who have the money to blow stuff up in your backyard. Funny thing is, I would never buy fireworks if I didn't manage a tent. I'm really not that fond of them, and neither is my oldest daughter. But I love the fireworks season! I hire whoever I can, which usually means my sisters and my closest friends end up sitting around laughing, joking, and catching up while waiting patiently for the customers to come to us. We run radio ads and use social networking to let everyone know we're open, but we still have hardly any customers during the beginning and a million on the 4th. I had a c-section 5 weeks ago yet I find myself hauling boxes that weigh more than I do, fixing electrical work, fussing with security systems, using the drill to put together register stands and asking myself WHY? Have I lost my mind?! Its 102 degrees in the shade for heaven's sake!! I haven't seen my children in 2 days for this!! I haven't had a home cooked meal, and won't have a home cooked meal for 2 more weeks!! WHY WHY WHY!!?!? Oh, thats right.. because when you're poor you do whatever you have to. This little seasonal work dropped in my lap and provides 1/3 of my yearly income. That and the gun powder must be laced with something because I find myself drawn toward the sale of fireworks. Something about it seems so wonderful. The whole season I complain and say how much I don't like it, but I'm sad to see it go and ecstatic when its that time again. So, the truth today is..... I'm hopelessly addicted to the sale of fireworks.
THIS is how we roll... back in 2009 anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment